Our friend and collaborating chef, Stephen Clarke, recently jumped in the kitchen with Rickeeta from Aboriginal Productions to help put together the most delicious breakfast dish to cook mum this Mother’s Day.
Take a look at the recipe below for our Wattle Seed and Macadamia Pancakes, with a Coffee & Wattle Seed Ice Cream and a Geraldton Wax Syrup, and watch here to follow along as Stephen and Rickeeta prepare the dish in our Concert Club kitchen.
PLEASE NOTE: The information provided in this article/video is designed to inspire and educate readers on the use of Indigenous plants. RAC Arena is not liable or responsible for any consequences resulting from consuming or using wild food based on this information, including accuracy and availability. Proper identification is crucial when foraging. Please consume wild food at your own risk and whenever possible, we suggest buying from local First Nations growers and businesses.
- 250g self raising flour
- 2 tsp of West Australian wattle seed
- 2 tsp finely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 tbls caster sugar
- 250ml full cream milk
- 1 egg
- 30g whole macadamia nuts
- Sieve the flour, add the wattle seed, finely chopped macadamia nut, milk and egg. Mix well to form a smooth batter.
- Pour a little of the mixture a time into a hot non-stick frying pan.
- Turn each pancake when they beginning to set, cook until golden on each side.
- Continue to cook all of the batter, if there is to much they will freeze well.
- Toast the whole macadamia nuts to release there fantastic flavours.
- Serve pancakes with fresh berries and toasted macadamia nuts, a scoop of your favourite ice cream & finish with the Geraldton wax syrup.
COFFEE & WATTLE SEED ICE CREAM
- 6 egg yolks
- 250ml full cream milk
- 250ml cream
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 Vanilla pod
- 1 tsp toasted wattle seed
- Double espresso coffee
- Toast the wattle seeds, add to the cream, milk & vanilla heat until nearly boiling slowly, so that the wattle seed and vanilla infuse the liquid.
- In a large bowl (big enough for all of the liquid) mix the caster sugar & egg yolks. Add the hot milk liquid and mix well.
- In a clean pot return the mixture add the double espresso and cook until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Cool the mixture then pour into an ice cream machine and churn then reserve in the freezer. Or simply buy your favourite ice cream.
GERALDTON WAX SYRUP
- Geraldton wax to taste
- 1 tsp glucose
- 100ml water
- 100g caster sugar
- Heat the glucose, water, caster sugar & Geraldton wax, and boil to form a syrup
- Allow to cool, strain and pour over the wattle seed and macadamia nut pancakes.
Happy Mother’s Day!